Monday, September 12, 2011

Critical vs creative writing

The ideas presented in the readings for this week all relate to one another, I can see that. I understand the logic of exploratory writing, and how it can create a map for reference, in case you get lost in your writing. This makes sense to me, since I often make "outlines" for myself while writing. They're really nothing more than a haphazard list of bullet points that I write illegibly on a notebook, but it happens to be a way for me to see where I've been and where I would like to go in my writing.

The only thing that I get caught up on is the several steps it takes to get there. It's an overly explanatory explanation of writing. I took a class once where we were put into groups for a research presentation. We were required to turn in a research question, then a hypothesis, then sources, then annotated sources, then an outline, and finally, at some point in the semester, we were able to give our presentation. On the holy grail. We showed a video clip of Monty Python. I have to think that at some point, students need to work at their own pace, however fast or slow that might be. Exploratory writing is a great way to start out, but you cannot force a student to do something that simply doesn't work for him/her.

Similarly, I can see the logic behind active waiting. I actually think I could employ it a bit more when it comes to writing. I have to distinguish though, the style of writing these "rules" address. There have been times in which I have written at my best when I have sat down and made myself write, creatively speaking. I understand the need to actively pause when writing critically, but not creatively.

The reverse goes for the begin writing early "rule." I often write my way into my narrative when I write creatively because I needed to sort it out on paper, to begin telling the story before I felt comfortable. But critically, I'm not sure if this is true for me. I often sketch out my plan for the paper before I begin writing, or else I feel like I will end up somewhere I didn't want to be. I'll write myself into a corner, with no way out. So in a sense, I agree with the "rules" Boice has laid out, I just disagree with the context of the writing.

1 comment:

  1. I like the distinction you make here between creative and critical writing. In my experience, starting the actual essay too early in the case of critical writing has made me stick to a thesis that I later partially or wholly disagreed with. It's much easier (in most cases) to change the plot of a narrative than the shape or logic of an argument.

    ReplyDelete