Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Adaptation: Teaching Composition from a New, Visual Perspective

In some ways, Boice's description of the exploratory essay is truly the opposite of what I've always understood about about the construction of an essay. Boice recommends that we resist writing a thesis at the beginning of the essay. He also advises us to begin after an introduction, in the middle. He asks us to consider and explore two or more perspectives or arguments. All of these ideas are contrary to my deep-rooted thoughts about writing an essay. I think it will be an interesting detour for me to take as I approach my own essay. . . .

On a different note, I have been thinking about my essay and would like to explore the concept of visual learning styles in the teaching of composition. Right now, I am leaning toward the the idea that visual composition organization, rhetoric, and learning styles are imperative for effectively teaching students after our recent technological renaissance. When I tutor at the Writing Center, I find that the students are often unable to organize their thoughts. When we draw up a visual aid, however, their writing appears to improve immediately. I now have a hunch that students view information in clusters and as visual elements. Perhaps they think this way because they are confronted daily with technology that requires all students to think in a more visual manner. As teachers, I believe that we need to adapt to a new generation of students, even when teaching composition.

My brother is dyslexic and relies almost entirely on aural instruction. Prior to starting graduate school in English, I was a graphic designer for many years. My experience in the art world radically changed the way I view text. I mention these examples because I think that striking a balance between students who respond to traditional written instruction and aural, visual, and kinesthetic learning styles is of paramount importance. These are concepts that we have not explored in Boyce's book or the Allyn & Bacon guide.

I don't know if a new focus on visual teaching will take away valuable writing time or not. Can these alterations in teaching be successfully integrated with traditional teaching models? Are my assumptions wrong? I really don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment