Monday, December 5, 2011

Boice sure does seem to enjoy letting others do some of the work. While it's nice as an idea, I'm not sure yet how much I'll use this advice. It seems absurd when applied to writing seminar papers, and less absurd when applied to socializing/serving, but for teaching I'm still on the fence. Certain aspects of teaching I would be glad to let others do (providing sample syllabi, substituting for a class, and helping out with a trouble student are all things I've observed), but there are other aspects of teaching that I think need to be done consistently by the same person. A camel is a horse designed by committee, and all.

I thought that Boice's advice about class incivilities was practical, although I'm not sure I learned anything more from it than I had already heard from Jonas and Rachel. These situations are what make us nervous as first time teachers to begin with, so remembering that staying calm, keeping control of the situation, and trying to stay un-self-conscious are the best ways to handle them is important. It is likely they will make us more nervous, which will in turn make the situation worse. However common CI's are, though, I do feel that Jonas' absentee policy will help enormously, so hopefully I will not encounter these behaviors too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment