Monday, November 28, 2011

Cookie Monster Would Benefit From Moderating His Attachments to Cookies, But Would The Subtleties of His Pro-Cookie Thinking Be Lost?


It's not surprising that the creative writers among us have such antagonistic responses to Boice's "Moderate Emotions" chapter. While I'm not crazy about this advice either, it does make more sense to moderate your emotions when dealing with critical work. While I may get emotional about a Marxist reading of "Bartleby, the Scrivener," it seems unlikely that this would help my work in the same way that a short story might be helped by an emotional impetus. When I approach my work, I feel that it is helpful to offset anxiety with a sort of radical indifference - not so much a moderation of emotion as a repression of it through sheer force of will. I'm kidding, of course, but only barely.
Which brings me to Boice's other advice, about "Moderate Attachments." Whether you prefer murdering your darlings or drowning your children, the idea that you should not become overly attached to your writing is a sensible one. It's a type of indifference to certain parts of your writing in service to the whole. However, I have mixed feelings about setting my drafts aside for a few days before returning for revision. I've found that, on the few occasions when I've had the time to set aside my work for a few days, I returned to it having forgotten many of the concepts and ideas that I was working through. These are complex ideas we're working with here, folks. I much prefer Cohen's advice that you should work on your paper every day a least a little, no matter what stage of the process you're in, so that the subtleties of your thinking don't get lost through non-involvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment