Sunday, October 16, 2011

Busta - this one's for you.

So, Sarah B. has been studying the role of creative writing in the composition course.

Follow my logic.

I was at the American Folklore Society Annual Meeting this past week. Speaking with a fellow Mizzou folklorist about why he's taking creative writing courses - he says that they help ethnography. Ethnography is kind of a genre of creative writing non-fiction. I guess the bridge between creative nonfiction and academic writing.

And then I went to a panel on folklorists teaching first year composition, and there was a paper about including ethnography as assignments in the first year comp classroom. His results, he said, were overwhelmingly successful.

It allowed students to write about their own experiences. It also allowed students to become actively engaged in communities, and to even become advocates for the communities.

More in class.

1 comment:

  1. I have a feeling you were talking to Jackson--I've totally had this thought after reading his manuscripts in workshop. Glad to know I wan't off base in my pursuit for creativity :)

    ReplyDelete